16 November 2010

One Week Left

One week from today I fly back to New Jersey. I’m not sure I could have imagined the heavy heart I will be carrying with me; I’ve become pretty well and truly attached to this place. The total lack of responsibility, carefree collegiate atmosphere and near perfect weather certainly laid the foundations for my love affair with Davis, CA, but it’s the people I’ve met who have made this past month unforgettable.

Say what you want about scientists and the people who associate with them; I know I have. But everyone (with surprisingly few exceptions) has been an incredibly friendly, gracious host/tour guide to me and a ton of fun to hang out with. Some will be missed more than others, but I hope that one day I will be able to adequately repay everyone for the kindness they’ve shown me. At my current rate of progress into proper adulthood, it doesn’t look likely that I’ll be able to do that, but we can hope.

So New Jersey, please welcome me back a favorite son, a happy yet slightly brokenhearted and more confused than ever individual desperately but unhurriedly searching for the “meaning of life.”

And that is the end of my introspection. It’s far too nice outside to sit here and be a crybaby. 


Also, a special thank you has to go to Adam for letting me basically be a worthless freeloader for the past month. I've had an awesome time out here and I hope I've been some entertainment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment