01 November 2010

All Hallows'

Saturday night was a fantastic night with friends old, new and newer, as Adam invited a mess of people over for Halloween. The night before Halloween, commonly called “mischief night” nearly everywhere I’ve ever been, apparently has little meaning in the great state of California. Nary could a roll of toilet paper or spatter of egg yolk be seen on the lovely streets of Davis the evening of 30 October 2010, nor the morning of 31 October 2010. Its just as well really, and probably boils down to the bicycle culture here; its quite difficult to carry a dozen eggs and a Costco sized package of TP on your handlebars.

A good number of the guests who joined us for a night of imbibing put quite a bit of effort into their costumery. There were headless men, X-(wo)men, and the entire cast of the classic board game Clue, including a 6’5”, bearded, Ms. Scarlet. I think he won my personal, inner monologue “best costume” award; where he found a red dress to fit his frame, not to mention high heels, is beyond me. I took a more laissez-faire attitude with my own costume. Given my limited wardrobe and general lack of motivation to put anything creative together I decided to make the most of the bottle of Scotch lying around here as well as the black suit that made the trip with me, and be a “Mad Man.” This was, however, sans cigarette, so I really could have just been a drunk limo driver. Reservoir Dog was another suggestion I heard throughout the evening that I may have just gone with.

The evening and entire weekend were intensely enjoyable, from vividly blue cocktails to delicious burritos. I actually made two discoveries last night:

1.       Ducks smell absolutely horrible
2.       The night sky here is incredibly brilliant

This second observation certainly bears further investigation.

Now if you’ll excuse me, the glorious weather has returned to Davis, and I intend to take full advantage. Plus tard, mes amis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment